WE'VE MOVED!

WE'VE MOVED!  PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE: Oh My Gluestick

Thursday, September 20, 2012

#2: Making Homemade Lip Gloss With My 6-year-old. Check!

 
The weekend before school let out, we were on our way home from a road trip when we made our summer list.  It has random fun activities that each of us really wanted to do over the summer as a family.  My sweet girl, being the girly girl yet DIY-er that she is, wanted to make her own homemade lip gloss.  It is #2 on our list.  It's a big deal obviously, so I did a little research and gathered a few inexpensive items to get us started.  I already had some of the things at home so it was pretty easy to get started and surprisingly turned out great for our first time.  There are loads and loads of recipes and tutorials out there, but this is what worked for us.
 
To start, I gathered our supplies.  Here's the list:
  1. Beeswax: purchased from Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupon.  I suggest getting the natural instead of white.  I had never worked with this stuff before and was shocked at the color once I grated it.
  2. Vitamin E Oil: again from Hobby Lobby
  3. Flavored Essential Oil.  I chose Spearmint, but you can go any route.  Hobby Lobby has a small selection, but I was already there with all three kids and had just lost the AC to our car that morning.  No way in Hell was I making more than one stop for this project in the dead July Houston heat!  Places like GNC will have more to offer.
  4. Lanolin: I had an abundance left over from nursing.  You can get this stuff from the grocery store, drug store, anywhere.
  5. Honey
  6. Containers: Hobby Lobby.  Again, it was a one stop trip.  I found two types in the jewelry section.  Read thoroughly before you choose.  I must have read the package for the clear square containers 3 times and still brought home a package of 10 containers with only 2 lids.  Dummy.  Luckily, I also purchased the cute rounds with the pink lids.
  7. Lipstick if you choose to go for a tinted color.  I also had a bronzer and glitter lip gloss on hand just in case.
  8. You'll also need a glass measuring cup to melt your ingredients in, a pot, a cheese grater to break down your beeswax to a measurable form, a tsp, fork to stir, and knife to cut lipstick.
 
 
You'll need about 2 tsp of beeswax to start in your glass measuring cup
 
 
Add 2 tsp of lanolin
 
 
Add 3 tsp of Vitamin E oil.  This is just about all that comes in the little vile found at Hobby Lobby.
 


 
 
 


 
Add 2 squirts of honey.  Yes, we are all scientific with our honey measurement.
 

 Here is the good stuff ready to be melted.

 
Place the glass measuring cup in a small pot of water and set to medium. 
 

 
It doesn't take long for the water to boil and the goodness starts to melt.  Stir with fork to whisk the melting ingredients together.
 
 
Once melted, take off the heat and add a few drops of essential oils.  A little goes a long way.

 
If you want tint, now is the time to do it.  Get your lipstick ready.  Any hideous color that you wouldn't be caught dead wearing will do, because it's just to tint the gloss. 
 
Just a smidge will do.

 
Now as you can see, it's a very subtle tint.  I might have gone with a smidge more, but the girl was happy and that's all that mattered.
 
 
Immediately poor your tinted gloss in to the *containers.  This stuff will dry super fast.
 
 
If you get impatient, you can put it in the freezer to quick dry it, but I think it was solid in about 20 minutes or so.
 
 
You can sort of see the glittery tint from the bottom.  I can't believe that dark, harlot lipstick didn't make this any pinker.  Next time, I will do a smidge more and will go with the natural color beeswax instead of white.
 
 
Once the goodness dries, put the lids on and you are set.   Now, being the crafter I am, I really wanted to create adorable labels for these, but the girl wanted them plain. 
 


 *A word about the containers.  As I stated before, READ the packaging.  Especially if you are getting them from the jewelry section.  I purchased stackable square containers that clearly said I would get 10 containers with only 2 lids, but my brain must have stopped or I was truly that distracted by the kids that I ignored that part altogether until I got home and realized I am a moron.

 Buy these!

  NOT these!
 

 I hope you enjoy making your own lip goodies.  We sure did.  If you make them, let me know how it turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We have moved to http://ohmygluestick.com. Come on by for a visit and to see our new look!

Sock Monkey Party

Sock Monkey Party
For the love of all things sock monkey

Please do not copy pictures or reprint material on this blog without my consent